asdf
Firebird Videos, Audios & Books
St. Innocent Monastic Community
Redford, Michigan

 

I. VIDEOS IN ENGLISH

 

VE-20.  THE ANDREI RUBLEV ICON MUSEUM
at the Savior-Andronikov Monastery in Moscow
ENGLISH VERSION
DVD  ++  18 mins.  ++  MADE IN RUSSIA IN 1991 +++  ISBN 1-881211-85-1
PRICE: $14.95
ENGLISH VOICE-OVER MADE IN 2002 BY ST. INNOCENT/FIREBIRD VIDEOS 
(ENGLISH VERSION OF THE RUSSIAN VIDEO, VR-3)
DESCRIPTION:

We present here another in the series of English voice-overs by ST. INNOCENT / FIREBIRD Videos, Audios & Books of excellent Russian videos about Orthodox Church life and culture in Russia. For all icon-lovers, you will view here a very fascinating program that contains a brief account of the history of the 14th century Savior-Andronikov Monastery in Moscow, and the creation of the Andrei Rublev Museum of Icons at the former monastery during the Soviet period. Many of the museum’s wonderful icons are shown.

Also chronicled is the founding of the monastery by Metropolitan St. Aleksey around 1360. St. Andrei Rublev (ca.1360-70 – ca.1427-30), a disciple of St. Sergius of Radonezh, lived at this monastery at the beginning of the fifteenth century. During this time he did the iconography work (all long perished) of the interior of the monastery’s stone Cathedral of the Savior (1410-27), which is the oldest stone building in Moscow, and where St. Andrei is buried.

The video portrays: aspects of St. Andrei’s life and iconographic work; some of the buildings of the former monastery; many of the icons in the museum; several interviews with the Museum Director and Museum Art Historian; and an excerpt of a Divine Service in the Savior Cathedral, which had just been re-opened in May, 1991. Since this video was made, a men’s monastic community has been re-established at this very significant historic monastery.

Canonized in 1988, St. Andrei is usually depicted in icons holding his famous icon of the Holy Trinity, which he painted/wrote in 1422 for the Church of the Holy Trinity, in which St. Sergius relics are located at the Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra Monastery, near Moscow.